Ruth Soller » Blog


6/16/2020 11:38:08 AM

Cottonwood Creek Grand Tetons

Ruth Soller / Comment on this

I painted this original studio oil landscape of Cottonwood Creek near Jenny Lake with a background view of the iconic Grand Tetons in Grand Teton National Park. Notice how I emphasized the difference in shape and color of each of the trees along the creek. To portray distance the mountains in the background are lighter, cooler, and grayer than the trees. In the foreground water the shallower water near the bank reveals the stones and mud under the water in warmer hues, while the far shore reflects the cool blue of the sky.

What feelings or emotions does this painting inspire for you? Read More

4/12/2019 4:47:55 PM

First Friday Artwalk Feature Artist

Ruth Soller / Comment on this

Thank you to Anne, Michelle, Lamya and all who helped with the First Friday reception. Thank you to friends and guests who attended. We had a marvelous evening!
My National Parks paintings are on display through April. Osmosis Gallery, 290 Second Avenue, Niwot, CO 80544
Hours Mon-Fri 9am-5pm.
Read More

2/14/2018 10:30:11 AM

Romancing the West

Ruth Soller / 1 Comment

 

I'm writing this on Valentine's Day, a day devoted to love, about our love of the West. Although a transplant from the South, I've now spent twenty-three years living in the West; Oklahoma, Montana, California, and Colorado. The culture is one of openness, welcoming newcomers, energy, and outdoor adventures. People are strong and self-reliant and range from the ranchers living off the land and the cattle to the young urban technology wizards speculating in bitcoin. The land is expansive and gorgeous from crystal blue skies above 14,000 foot snow capped Rocky Mountains to red rock arches and canyons carved over millions of years. 

 

These are the lands that I love to portray in my National Parks and Western Lands series, as I am overwhelmed by their grandeur. If you also feel this love of the land and nature; consider attending the Western Spirit Art Show & Sale, on Saturday, March 3, 6-8 pm, at Cheyenne Frontier Days Old West Museum in Cheyenne, WY. My oil painting Cottonwood Creek Grand Tetons, 24x30, is for sale along with two of my western miniature paintings. You will experience paintings and sculpture by outstanding regional and national artists along with heavy hors d'oeuvres and live entertainment. Reserve tickets for the Opening Reception by phone 303.778.7290.

 

I'd love to see you there!

Read More