Ruth Soller » Blog


10/20/2017 12:31:26 PM

Little Red Corvette

Ruth Soller / Comment on this

I met this feisty little redhead at Zapata Ranch during our workshop on Painting Horses by Jill Soukup. The wranglers referred to Little Red Corvette as a halfling, which I took to mean half quarter horse and half pony. Standing next to her, our heads were about the same height at 5' 2". Zapata Ranch supports a large herd of quarter horses which are very well cared for. The horses work a schedule of one day on and one day off; the work includes herding, rounding up, roping cattle as well as group rides to nearby parks and recreation. On her off day Little Red Corvette was one of our horse models at the corrals, where she entertained us with her down dog yoga pose. On our trail ride Little Red Corvette, ridden by a wrangler, insisted on prancing in loops and circles off the trail the quarter horses were sharing. What a character! I hope you enjoy her portrait.

Read More

8/8/2013 9:06:52 PM

“Old West Relics and Memories”

Ruth Soller / Comment on this

Ruth Soller Solo Exhibition – Broomfield Auditorium Gallery –


Reception Sunday, Aug. 25, 2-4 pm


“Old West Relics and Memories”


While collecting my most recent and favorite works for this exhibition, I realized that most of my paintings illustrate themes from the Old West. The subtitle “Relics and Memories” implies that each viewer of these paintings adds their own personal memory and images from the past or even from dreams about the Old West. This show celebrates my tenth anniversary of living and working in Colorado and immersing myself in a culture and lifestyle I dreamed about as a child. It has been such a blessing to experience the beautiful and dramatic landscapes of Colorado and to paint scenes from Rocky Mountain National Park, Grand Mesa, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Mesa Verde, Steamboat Springs and more. I’ve taken a giant step outside of my studio to practice plein air painting with the guidance and encouragement of excellent landscape painters, John Taft and Jake Gaedtke. I’m drawn to the historic architecture of the West, from the barns and cabins of the earliest settlers to the grain elevators that served each community’s need for farm animal feed to flour and cornmeal for cooking.  I’ve practiced horsemanship skills and learned more about anatomy of horses which aids my drawing and painting of these noble and powerful creatures.  Recently, I’ve indulged my passion for portraiture in workshops with outstanding portrait and figurative artists, Johanna Harmon and Dan Beck. During our travels in the West, I’ve observed Native American dancers and enjoyed composing scenes of these dancers in authentic costumes and settings. I’m thrilled to share my collection “Old West: Relics & Memories” with you.

Read More

6/7/2012 2:57:35 PM

Saki

Ruth Soller / Comment on this

Saki is a two year old Shiba Inu we adopted from Clear Creek Animal Shelter. Shiba Inus are an ancient Japanese breed related to Akitas and are the most popular dog in Japan. Her name "Saki" is Japanese meaning rare blossoms, which is fitting as shiba inus are rare in the U. S. She quickly established herself as queen of the household. With gorgeous coloration resembling a red fox, she posed regally for her portrait. Wouldn't you enjoy a portrait painting of your favorite canine companion? I can work from your clear photographs; or if you are local I can photograph your pet for a portrait painting. Call or email me today to discuss your portrait project.

Read More